When selling a product, no matter what it is, packaging is vital. It needs to be many things, but it needs to be eye catching above all else.
In the cannabis industry there is a lot of competition. You want to promote your product and entice customers to purchase from you and not the people you’re in direct competition with. It can come down to many different small things for a customer to make that final decision, but the way the product is packaged and sold is one of the big reasons to concentrate on.
So, what does the perfect cannabis flower packaging need to be?
The Boxes Your Packaging Needs to Tick
1) It needs to be attractive; but it needs to be in line with the actual feel of the company. For instance, if you’re an upmarket company, one which has a classy, distinct feel, then the packaging needs to reflect that. The font needs to be in-keeping with the vibe, and everything needs to line up to tell the customer who you are and what you stand for. If, on the other hand, your company is more light-hearted, you can go a little more towards the fun side with your packaging design. But again, it needs to sum up who you are as a company, and show what you are offering. Going against who you are, not being true to the company and its roots, is a fast track towards being called out as a fraud in the eyes of a customer.
2) Packaging needs to be durable and it needs to serve its purpose. Flower packaging is easy to store, and it’s smaller than a box. This means that users can easily put their pack away in a bag and it won’t be seen. Having said that, paper packaging needs to be strong, and ideally, it needs to resealable, so the customer can use the original packaging as a storage option. Think about regular packaging you’ve used in the past which didn’t have a resealable strip across the top – probably everything fell out at some point. You can’t have that happening with cannabis flowers!
3) You need to make sure your customers have discretion. Not everyone wants people to know that they use cannabis for their medicinal requirements. Having packaging which reflects your actual customer base is vital. So, make sure the packaging is small enough to be discreet, but large enough to hold the amount it needs to hold. Make sure that resealable strip is there to help with freshness and storage, and also make sure that the material is strong enough to last for a good amount of time. Of course, it goes without saying that it should also be waterproof, to keep the contents dry, fresh, and in good condition.
Flower Cannabis Packaging
We know that flower cannabis is far and away one of the most popular types of cannabis on the market. With more countries legalising medicinal usage of cannabis, more brands are popping up on the market, and more companies are finding that they need to compete and show customers that they’re the option they need to go with.
We’ve mentioned that the design needs to reflect the feel of your company, but how do you manage to achieve that? Well, it needs to be eye catching, but in your own way.
Paper cannabis packaging is mostly seen in a pouch form. This is a waterproof, almost waxy type of material which keeps the flower dry and fresh, and it has that resealable strip across the top that we mentioned before. These come in different sizes, depending upon the amount contained within the packaging itself. This type of packaging gives the user easy storage, but can also be kept in a bag, away from sight, without it actually being too ‘in your face’. Most medicinal cannabis users don’t want everyone knowing that they use it, for whatever reason, so always bear that in mind.
Let’s look at a few designs which really stand out, to illustrate the points we’ve made so far.
This type of packaging is a little different, and it gives more protection. Of course, this is a packaging type which is predominantly used with CBD oil and it is a glass container which is then held inside a paper box, for extra safety and security.
This type of packaging is ideal for keeping things fresh and safe, but also gives you a storage option which is outside of the regular packaging. We know that regular cardboard can become misshapen or damaged, and if it gets wet then it is prone to becoming like paper mache! In this case, you don’t have to worry about any of that, because you will simply use the glass after you have purchased the product. The packaging in this case is mainly for the advertising side of things, and also for keeping the glass safe during transportation and sale.
You’ll see from this TruFlower product that the design on the outside is very subtle, and as a result it is ideal for those who would prefer a little discretion about their CBD use for medical reasons.
2. Cannabis Packaging by Top Dispensary Web Design
This particular type of packaging is ideal for storage, but would also fit as a gift too. The main packaging is in an airtight jar, which is perfect for storing the flower, but it also keeps it fresh, and safe. After use, you could us the jar for something else!
This type of packaging could be complimented within a box for sale, which gives it a more ‘gift’ feel. The overall design is also fun, which makes it great for attracting attention. The bright colours and jazzy feel are eye-catching, but it still retains a classy and subtle approach, which is another plus point for those who don’t want to shout about their usage.
As with the glass or plastic container within a box, the airtight jar within a box is a great way to protect the jar from damage during shipping. These types of jars are prone to denting or scratching if they’re thrown around a little, but the box will protect it until it arrives at its intended destination.
The Hemperor Collection is a very classy affair and the overall decoration wouldn’t look out of place on a wallpaper design! This particular packaging model is designed to carry three jars within the one packaging set. This protects the jars, but also gives the person a mode for storage. Again, the jars can be used for other purposes after they’re empty.
The packaging is almost gift-style in presentation, as the main box looks like a presentation box, with the three tins sitting side by side, and labelled according to their contents. The actual tins themselves are extremely subtle, and again, could be used as regular storage tins after use..
Stick to the Basics
We’ve looked into detail at five different types of flower cannabis packaging, and talked about the overall design and why they stand out. Of course, each type of product is designed to be aimed at a different type of audience, and you can see that clearly by the font, the images on the front, and the way everything is laid out in the overall design.
Regardless of who your target audience are, it’s important that you stick to the basics before you get onto the more advanced side of making your design stand out.
- You need to choose high quality materials that are going to stand the test of time, be durable, and act as an effective storage tool for your customers.
- You also need to make sure that you incorporate some kind of sealing device onto your packaging, to keep the contents fresh and dry.
- Of course, the material also needs to be waterproof – that should go without saying!
Once you have the basics in place, you can concentrate on creating a design which really represents your brand, including who you are, the feel you have, and the type of audience you’re targeting. It takes time to get this part right, but ensuring you dedicate the right amount of time and effort will ensure that you stand out above the competition, and attract customers your way. Of course, customers means revenue, and if you keep those customers happy, they will continue to choose you time and time again, and perhaps even tell their friends – word of mouth marketing means a lot, even in this technological day and age.